Thursday 20 October 2011

a little bit violated

or lost. i'm not sure which yet.

there were 6 missed messages on my phone when i got out of the shower this morning. a message from a friend in mauritius, checking in to make sure i hadn't been mugged in the UK and i didn't need money. i know, an exciting way to enter the day.

some time last night my facebook account was hacked and my email address which makes up my login changed to something else. so i lost access to my own account. that was one thing but the other was that i had a few friends across the world who had had conversations with "me" through the night. FB instant chats where i related i had been mugged at gunpoint, pistol whipped and all my cash and credit cards taken. and the embassy was of no help and could they wire me money, the amounts differed per person. other friends were emailed and brought into the drama.

which meant i had to work out how to fix this. first off i couldn't access my account, so i tried to work out how to contact facebook admin OH MY GOODNESS... how crap is that? there is really no rhyme or reason to how it might work. honestly, for a social network they really haven't got the support services down at all. i ended up having to lock down my account so now i'm absent from facebook until it gets sorted out. which means i'm waiting.

i don't know how long i'll be waiting but it will be interesting to see how i procrastinate in the days to come.

p.s. i did email out a few friends to let them know that i hadn't been mugged and if i did need money i'd just give them a call. ha! but what i did find is that i got to speak to people i hadn't contacted in a while. so to the hackers i say thank you for that at least.

No comments: