Monday 26 January 2009

big kitchen in the sky


my nanna passed away early sunday morning. mom rang about 8am, waking me, she thought i would have already started into the day. i'm thinking that nan took off when she did (not only was it the only moment she had to herself) but because she wanted to be at the front of the line for the first cuppa where ever she was headed too. truly. it would've been a cup of tea that she craved after nearly a year without being able to drink or eat. i can't imagine it. then i reckon she'd have had a look around and seen all our family and friends. so she's doing okay now.

mavis duca, i've had her all my life. she's never missed a birthday, easter or christmas. one less present at each of these events. :) (yes, she'd appreciate the humour - probably with a smack in my direction).

nan at 206 wittenoom street in boulder was my constant star. i started out there and kept going back over the years. i lived with her in the late 70s for a time, mulberry trees and mulberry stains, the swings across the road, mr whippy sundaes on sunday, riding home after school to an afternoon snack of icy milo and sandwiches, tucked into bunk beds with the smell of aerogard in the summer, jack frost on the lawn in the early hours of the morning when visiting the outside loo in winter.

while we were building our first and only house in the early 80s she put up with us again, me in first year highschool. my mum buying my first bra and the two of them saying "you're a woman now"... yes, the joys of that humiliation. fun times. ;) then in my last year at highschool, the rest of the family moved away and i got to stay with my nan. we looked out for each other. she helped me pick out a dress for the mid year ball, and came to my graduation. you know the big things in that final year of school.

a few years later she was my rest and recreation when taking breaks from university. my point of call before taking trips overseas and interstate, always wondering why i couldn't be happy to stay in one place like everyone else (i blame my dad for this).

there are a handful of my friends who have met this grand lady, those who have stayed at wittenoom street, in the old fibro house that has squeezed so many people into it over the years. and then there are those that have briefly met her when in a few hours notice i've asked her to whip me up a chocolate cake, so someone can pick it up and ferry it back up to me 400kms away.

i can't begin to thank her for all the delicious kitchen memories of my life, waking up on sunday mornings to the smells of roast lunch or scones. oh her pasties and trifles. actually anything she found in the cupboard or fridge she could combine into something tasty. i've never quite managed that, probably won't at this stage but she had that knack.

and so, after 84 years (she just had a birthday) my nanna decided it was time. she was a great friend to have, i loved hearing her stories, she put up with listening to my insane ideas of life. she was the best ever nanna. i couldn't have dreamed up a better nan and i will miss her so very much. she may be gone but something that time or distance won't ever be able to take away is that i will always be her favourite eldest grand-daughter. always.

No comments: